Tuesday, February 3, 2015

3 Responsive Web Sites Doing it Right

 -- All Photos are screenshots from my mobile device --

1. Amazon     - http://www.amazon.com/

I thought Amazon.com, the mobile site was really user friendly. It doesn't appear that it redirects to a mobile version, given the same name, Amazon.com in my browser by the version that I got on my phone was slightly different than what I saw on my computer. I thought it was a good mobile site because they lowered the number of links along the top and just put a couple important ones, like search and login. Also, they are using a horizontal layout to showcase products for sale that you can scroll horizontally on. I think that's a great way to save space and allows them to increase the viewing size of the items this way.




2. ESPN   - http://espn.go.com/  

ESPN'S website is ESPN.go.com. I thought this was a redirect to a mobile site and they added the go in it but when I went to espn.com on my computer it went to the same site.  I think they did a great job on their mobile site because they minimized icons down to the most important ones and they have a great size for their menu. I don't have to pinch to zoom at all on their site, which is a huge benefit for a mobile user. Everything important still fits above the fold and their mobile site's layout is almost exactly like their regular site, which helps find things if you already knew where they were on the regular site.


3. CNN  - http://www.cnn.com/
CNN has a pretty cool mobile site. It looks like they give it a resizing feature instead of making two different sites, which is great for their SEO. Basically, the mobile site on my phone looked just like the website on my computer, except they took stuff from the far right of their computer site and put it in one straight line. Also, their menu is fixed on both sites which especially helps on a mobile site when scrolling isn't always as easy. Finally, I really like that CNN's mobile site seems to include everything their regular site has, which makes the mobile user feel like they arent missing out on any pertinent news.

No comments:

Post a Comment