Wednesday, January 28, 2015

3 Local Sites that Can Improve Usability Today



1. Mi Cielo - http://mymicielo.com/     - Mexican Restaurant in Redmond, Oregon

For the Website mymicielo.com, I believe the usability issue: Images and videos are relevant and meaningful, is a hindrance for them. The whole page doesn't have a great flow to it, but I've never eaten at this restaurant before and was curious to actually see the pictures on their index page. When you go to the page, a large picture loads towards the top and it has right and left arrows so you can click through different pictures. But when I scroll right or left, it loads pages with only broken image links. Some prospective customers might base their decision not to go based on the lack of images.

Mi Cielo could improve their site by fixing these image links and having professional looking photos of their food actually load for the viewer to see. 



2. Earth Fire Art    http://www.earthfireart.com/   - A pottery lounge in Bend, Oregon
Earth, Fire, Art is actually a place I take my son quite often, which is why I looked up their webpage. I expected to see at least photos of the different types of pottery you could buy, and ones of people having a good time painting their pottery, but none of that was included. Their website is basically one page, that says what they are and gives contact information. I was pretty disappointed with this companies website, which in no way really tries to bring in new customers. There are so many things wrong, but I will only list a couple along with recommendations. First of all, the lack of pictures:  Images and videos are relevant and meaningful. If people don't know what this place is about, it's hard to imagine it without photos. For a business like this one, that is probably their biggest tool for getting new business from their website. I would also say that the usability rule: Color alone is not used to convey information, is not something followed. They have a colored background and links but nothing that catches your eye to specific things. I think adding some photos and some different colored content areas can make this website feel like it actually has usable information.

Basically, earth, fire, art, needs to add content to their page. They need photos showing the customer's experience when their business is visited. Also, I think a huge downfall of their website is not listing birthday party information. They say you can have parties there but don't give any info except for "call us for details". As a mom, and someone who uses the internet for information regularly, I can honestly say I'd probably pass this business up as an option for my sons birthdays because I can't get at least a minimum amount of information from their website.



3. Zydeco Kitchen  - http://www.zydecokitchen.com/ - A restaurant in Bend, OR

Zydeco's website did some things well but I think the main problem is the site's navigation... Or lack there of. Zydeco's website is all inclusive on the main index page. For example, there are links on the top such as "Home, restaurant, menus, wine..." and if you click on one, it scrolls you down to part of the homepage that lists that information. So it's all on one page. I found it hard to review their menus and know exactly where I was on the page. If I wanted to go back up to the address, my first instinct would be to scroll all the way back up because 'contact us' or 'location' or something similar is not listed in their menu, which is fixed (which is a plus).

My recommendation for Zydeco is to include their amazing, professional looking photos on the homepage with a short length design and make the menu items links to other pages. I think this would create a better user experience for potential customer's by allowing easier site navigation.



No comments:

Post a Comment