Monday, February 9, 2015

3 Multi-level Menus that Function Well, and Look Good

1. Starbucks  - http://www.starbucks.com/

I like Starbucks multi layered menu. For companies with not a lot of different products to offer, I don't think it would work. But with Starbucks, I think the idea of a huge drop down showing many menu options reduces the chance of a customer having to go through a ton of clicks to get to the page that they want. I love the black background with the green background hover effect too. I think, for Starbucks, this works.


2. Walmart  - http://www.walmart.com/

Walmart's website and mult layered nav menu kind of stood out to me because it was somewhat different than the ten's of other websites I looked at for this post. I like the idea of the nav menu on the side, which isn't necessarily different but it looks good on their website. Also, I liked the fact that although the sub menu that popped up was somewhat big and full of info, you could also click on a sub category instead of specific item with that category. That was kind of cool for someone who would rather just browse that category than pick something specific. (doesn't really show that in the screencapture I got, but it's there for other depts.).


3. Alaskan Airlines -  http://www.alaskaair.com/?semid=9e82f2d3-c937-47f8-bced-f13957cf8c41::3240166::||Evergreen||&gclid=CIaM1IrK1cMCFZNafgodozsAzw

I liked Alaskan Airlines multi layered menus the best. They had clearly defined sections, when you'd hover and the drop down would come up. They also included pictures in some of them and it was just very appealing to the eye and their menu was the most concise I have seen today. For example when you hover over polices, you see a list of the top three, and then a link for 'all polices'. Not providing too much info on the sub menus I think is key while providing the most gone to links for easy access. I think they nailed it.


No comments:

Post a Comment